Thursday, November 17, 2011

The kids and I finished up the presents that I most enjoy creating. Each year our church, Northridge, collects shoe boxes filled with small gifts for kids around the world who don't get Christmas without us. Each year I try to increase the number of boxes that we fill. I start shopping for things right after the boxes are collected. The end of the collection is this coming weekend. This year, rather than wrapping a regular cardboard shoe box, I bought inexpensive plastic ones and sewed fabric liners for them to make them look nice and so that the kids would be surprised when they opened them.
This is the stack of them on the table. There are 5 for little girls and 5 for little boys this year. Cari and Cody helped me fill them up and get them ready to go. Here is a peak at what is inside. I would encourage everyone who can to fill a box for a child next year. I hope to do more than this year. Next year I am going to actually make the box be part of the gift. Maybe a baby bed filled with baby doll and all the accessories for the girls and a car mat and garage with matchbox cars for the boys. I would then fill the box with the type of things I would throw into my own kids stockings....the little toys and treats that they always look forward to. I love filling these boxes and think about what to put into them all year. They are more fun than buying for my own children because these kids don't give me a list of what they want. I buy the basic old fashioned toys such as dolls, coloring books and crayons...no electronics or battery operated items. The kind of things that I looked forward to getting each year. It keeps Christmas in my heart and reminds me of the gift that God gave to us on a wonderful silent night.

No comments:

Post a Comment